Saturday, May 17, 2008

of singing, and knowing your characters

Hey!

hey, indeed...

It's been some time, Dave.

has it? seems like yesterday.

Yesterday? No way! I've been waiting ages. AGES! For you to come back in here...

i popped in last monday. i don't think that qualifies as ages ago.

Not to you, Dave, but to the rest of us who are waiting for your next words of wisdom it seems like forever!

now you're being silly. there's no one else here--

What? You are never here! How can you tell how many people are here? Or how many have been here? Waiting?

waiting for what?

You tell me! You're the one who keeps us waiting!

i don't keep you waiting. i don't keep anyone waiting. i just pass through. i just write through. remember? on my way to my draft?

Yes. Yes, of your book, The Shadow Without. Of course, I remember, it's just that...

what?

No, you'll think I'm stupid!

why would i think you're *ahem* stupid?

Because you don't answer our questions!

our questions?

You're laughing at me now, aren't you?

no.

You are!

no. i am not. i am concerned that you spend too much time in my blog, but i am not laughing at you.

Really?

truly.

Then you'll answer our questions?

yes, i'll answer your questions. except...

Except?

except there is the problem that there is only you in here with me. so this our bit is kind of disconcerting...

Oh, don't worry! I'll just ask the questions for the others.

there are NO others! i don't think i can do this...

Sure you can. And don't worry about the others. I don't see them either.

i'd close my eyes, but i can't type that way. and it wouldn't help because there are no--

Look, Dave, I won't mention them again. Serious.

serious? glad you mentioned it. i have to be going, i must get to my draft--

Of The Shadow Without? Fantastic, Dave. Glad you bought it up. See, I've been thinking about the characters in your book.

you have?

Sure I have! And I mean't to ask, do any of them sing?

what?

Do any of them sing? Like Kelsey? Fine girl that one. I bet she has a fine voice, doesn't she?

possibly...

Possibly? What do you mean? You don't know?

actually, i do know. i am just puzzled by your question. why do you ask?

Well, while I was waiting, you know, for all of those ages, I didn't really have much to do so I read that quote from DH Lawrence that you say 'sings to you' and I wondered if your characters sing?

that's not a bad question. now you've got me wondering if there is anyone else in here.

There isn't now! They've all left. Got sick of waiting for you--

*sigh* why do i bother...

To tell me.

to tell you what?

To tell me if any of your characters sing!

yes.

Yes, what?

yes, my characters sing.

Do they? How do you know?

they are my characters!

So Kelsey DOES sing! On what page?

i didn't say she sings in the book.

If she doesn't sing in the book, how do you know she can sing?

because, and watch my lips, s--

I can't see your lips!

then watch my fingers. on the keyboard. she is my character. i know everything about her. all that she has done. all that she wants to do. all that she desires, everybody she desires. that's what being an author is about. understanding your characters. so, yes, i know she can sing.

You know everything she does?

everything.

And everything she thinks?

of course.

So, you'd be able to ask her for a date?

yes, i could ask her out on a date.

Not with you, Dave. With me!

stop! you're asking me if Kelsey can sing?

That's right.

and you're asking me if she can go out on a date?

Thats right.

with you?

Fantastic, Dave. Do it please!

sorry, buddy. i don't know anything about you.

Oh, come on! We're old friends now!

can't do. not with Kelsey.

Please! I'm begging you, Dave.

sorry, buddy, can't hear you.

Just one date!

just passing through, buddy. just writing through...

No comments: