Monday, June 30, 2008

on the pitch, and reading out loud...

Hey, Dave. What are you doing?

nothing. i'm doing nothing.

You were talking to yourself, weren't you?

no, i wasn't.

You were too. I heard you. When I came in. You were talking to yourself. You DO get lonley in here, don't you, Dave.

no. i don't.

Sure you do, why else would you be talking to yourself?

i don't want to say. you'll twist it up and make me look stupid.

I don't sit in here talking to myself, Dave.

*sigh* i wasn't talking to myself, i was reading. out loud.

Reading? Out loud? You've been by yourself for far too long.

see. i told you you would twist it!

All right, take it easy. Just tell me why you were reading out loud, will you?

i was reading my pitch.

Your pitch?

uh huh. my verbal blurb.

Oh, like your back cover blurb?

that's kind of like it.

Bummer. I thought you'd be talking about your cricket pitch. That's why I came in here, I read the blog title and thought I might get the cricket scores.

i don't have a cricket pitch.

You don't?

i don't.

Wow! That's almost un-Australian, isn't it?

what's un-Australian about not having a cricket pitch?

Well, let me see. Oh, everything, I guess. Like, what is the point of reading a pitch if it's not a cricketing one? I mean, if you can't try to pick Warnie's leg-break, or his wrong'un off the pitch, why bother reading anything?

the only wrong'un here is you, buddy!

No, seriously, I just came in here to find out how the one-dayers were going.

and i only came in to read my pitch.

You know, against the West Indies. In the Caribbean? Are we winning?

i can't imagine winning feeling this bad...

You don't know the score, do you?

yes, you twenty eight, me zero.

I mean the cricket score.

oh... no, i don't know the score.

So, what is the point of reading your pitch if there are no cricket scores in it?

it's my verbal blurb, for my novel, The Shadow Without. it's what i need to have ready to pitch to an agent or a publisher so it has to sound good. that's why i was reading it aloud.

And did it sound good?

i don't know. you kept talking over the top of it.

Did you mention the scores from the latest one day international in it? That'd make it sound real good, I reckon.

...

Dave? Where are you? Dammit! I wanted to ask if there are any good cricketing blogs out there...

4 comments:

crazy old woman said...

Dave,

You talk about what you have published before in your RH sidebar - do you have any links to these things if they are published on the web? Do you have scanned copies that you can link to so we can read them?

Jen B

Dave Millard said...

Jeez, Jen, that would be some pretty hairy stuff. And, of course, I have electronic versions saved away, although not published on the web. I will have to ponder how that might be done. And see if my ego could take the beating said stuff might dish out.

Thanks for the visit!

dave

Crug said...

hey unc
I've read a few posts on your blog now, its funny. Does writing with the other character interrupting actually help you create a flow in your posts?
Also how is your book coming along? I'll be in line to buy it when it's released!! Anyways We'll have to catch up one of these days.
Catch ya

Craig

Dave Millard said...

holy crap! how goes it Craig? nice of you to drop in. i have been away for too long. work commitments, life and beer seem to have been getting in the way. the book is one of those life things that has been getting in the way too, but it's mostly the beer...

i like the two character bit, for me dialogue is a great way to play with the language as well as move the story, whatever the story, along.

i'll be back in here soon, i'm at a stage where i am comfortable with my book progress so i can afford the time to explore some things in here.

later!

unca dave